2.12.2007

Day 6, 1 PM - 2 PM (Episode 8)

- Ok, I'm gearing up for another 2-hour stupidity extravaganza. Remember, I do this for you, dear readers. All 3 of you.

- I'm perfectly willing to accept the silly "Enemy of the State" premise that they have highly-detailed satellite imagery of everything, everywhere, going back an indefinite amount of time. But why don't they use it all the time, then? It'd be pretty useful in any number of situations, I think.

- Is it just me, or does $7 million seem kinda cheap for what McCarthy's being asked to do? Also, are there no cops at all in the greater Los Angeles area? Jack's gotta do absolutely everything!

- Karen Hayes didn't need a letter of resignation to resign. Why does Lennox? Oh, right, because it needs to take long enough for something to happen before he can resign. Silly me.

- Does Milo even have his own computer? My guess is no. From what I can gather, CTU has two analysts (Morris and Chloe), two mid-level managers (Nadia and Milo), a boss (Bill), and maybe six field agents, three of whom have already been killed so far. Maybe a helicopter pilot and van driver or two there as well, and a couple professional torturers. And, between the lot of 'em, they have two functioning computers. Damn budget cuts! To be fair, it has proven exceptionally hard to keep CTU employees alive.

- I don't quite understand Palmer's war logic: One nuke is ok, but two means war? I don't know about you guys, but my threshold for nuclear bombs detonated on American soil is 1. After that, and we most definitely have to go to war with someone, preferably Iraq.

- Jack: "Chloe, it's good to have you back." I don't think he was ever told she was "gone", and she was gone for about 15 minutes.

- I'm not sure what Fayed's game plan is, but if he knows that CTU is at the building, I'd think it makes sense to escape first, and torture second.

- You're Morris, and in deep trouble. You're most likely going to die, no matter what happens. You're being tortured, and can no longer stand it, so you give in. Ok, sure, I'm not in your shoes, but can't fault you for that, even though millions of lives are at stake. Then, while you're programming, you're informed that CTU is on their way. Do you continue to do you work, or do you stall for a few more minutes? If you finish your work, the terrorists will kill you, and there will be a nuclear holocaust. If you don't finish your work, you might get tortured for a couple more minutes (admittedly, not very pleasant), but you also have a shot at surviving when they come to the rescue, AND you won't be giving the terrorists nuclear weapons. I know I shouldn't criticize a man until I've walked a mile in his shoes and been tortured with a drill, but still...

- So, looking back, Fayed had an escape plan. Instead of counting on Morris to do the stupid thing (which he dutifully did), Fayed could have escaped with Morris just fine on his undetectable MedEvac chopper, instead of risking his entire plan on Morris completing his programming in time. Maybe this is why I wouldn't make a very good terrorist - I'm not the gamblin' type.

- Bomb defusing nitpicking: Yeah, CTU's short-staffed, but it might have made sense to bring in a bomb squad. Just sayin'. Second: After Jack stops one of the gears, it's supposed to mean that only one of the plates will move, and presumably give Jack more time. But the next shot of the plates you see shows both of them moving. On the bright side, this is the least significant error of the entire show.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I do think there are a lot of things Morris could have done, although I'm not sure he could have said anything else to convince her. And, plus, she'd have to be pretty stupid to believe that she'd get $10M. On the other side, it's pretty clear that now the U.S. DOES negotiate with terrorists.

C'mon, Karen was resigning, just like Lennox. It was an obvious contrivance that he was going to hang around until Chad Lowe found a way to get him to change his mind.

I disagree with your Fayed/Morris logic. Fayed stated outright that CTU was almost there and it was a matter of minutes. In that case, you stall as much as possible - there's no way Fayed can really know how long it's going to take. Once again, Morris was seconds from being killed anyways, and you have to know that as soon as you've done your job, you're gonna die. There's no reason for him not to stall longer. There are many ruses he could have pulled. It's also pretty obvious that he's very important to Fayed, because there's no way that if they had other options, they'd choose a CTU agent first.

I'm not saying they should have called a bomb squad after finding the bomb - I'm saying that a bomb squad (possibly a CTU-employed one) or technician should be with them on all future calls, given the high probability of finding a bomb on one of these raids.

February 13, 2007 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home